ASHLEY-cum-SILVERLEY is a village and parish, on the Suffolk border of the county, 4 miles, south-east from Newmarket and the same distance from Kennett station on the Cambridge and Bury St. Edmunds section of the London and North Eastern railway, in the hundred of Cheveley, Newmarket union, petty sessional division and county court district, and in the rural deanery of Cheveley, archdeaconry and diocese of Ely. [Kelly's Directory - 1929]