WICKHAM ST. PAUL (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Sudbury, hundred of Hinckford, N. division of Essex, 4½ miles (N. by E.) from Halstead; containing 476 inhabitants. This parish is about six miles in circumference; the soil is light, in some parts very fertile. The village is pleasantly situated, and consists of neat well-built houses, ranged round an extensive green. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's, London, valued in the king's books at £9: the tithes have been commuted for £400, and the glebe comprises 20 acres. The church is a substantial edifice, with a square embattled tower. The rent of a field, amounting to £11. 10., is given to the poor.
From: 'Wickham - Wickwick', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 565-567. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51404.